Sunday, April 29, 2012

How to build a Diaper Cake!


Check out my video tutorial on how to build a diaper cake!

Diaper cakes make great centerpieces at baby showers, a budget-friendly group gift and are really fun to make. They come in all shapes and sizes for any theme and can fit any budget. Have $30 to spend? Grab a small bag of diapers, create a 2 layer cake, wrap with a solid ribbon on each layer and top with a toy or booties. As your budget goes up, keep adding more layers, "frills and frosting." If you're in the $160 and up range, buy unique blankets and burp cloths from the crafty Moms on ETSY or designer baby boutiques. Be creative and have fun!

I built this cake for a fashionable mama who just had her second baby and didn't have a shower. She's always doing crafty things for me, so I wanted to surprise her - and the big sister, who might be feeling a bit left out.

So, how much did it cost? I'm a busy mom who needs a one-stop-shop, so *everything you see in the video came from Target (or Tar-jay), including my outfit! I didn't use coupons, which could've saved me anywhere from $10-$50. (Slapping my wrist) Use your coupons!! This was a $160 cake, which I was happy to spend for a good friend and to show you what you can make. Split between shower hostesses, it's not so bad.

*Diaper Pins were from my stash, previously purchased at Babies R Us. Get several packs on your next trip!

A few tips:

  • I used a little less than one large bag of Huggies Pure & Natural diapers, but I used more blankets than I might if keeping a low budget. Less blankets = more diapers because you'll not have extra blankets to use as "Filling."

  • I prefer Aidan and Anais blankets in general because they are breathable, make the perfect swaddling blanket, act as a nursing cover, paparazzi shade and superhero cape. You can frost a whole cake with a 4 pack and matching ribbon!

  • The soft flannel "receiving blankets" you see are not good swaddlers, but they are adorable on a diaper cake and can be used as burp cloths, changing pad liners and tea party napkins

  • I highly suggest splurging on a "stroller blanket" for the bottom layer. Embroider it with the baby's monogram if you have time and resources.

  • If you just have 2 blankets and a pretty burp cloth, you can use each to "Frost" a 3 layer cake. The burp cloth can wrap around the top layer of 3-4 diapers.

  • You can fill a diaper cake with G diaper liners and cloth diapers the same way, but might opt not to make the diaper rosettes. Instead, wrap the diapers around the center support (bottle brush) like i did in the video and then "Frost" with a ribbon or blanket to cover the rubber bands.

  • Another budget-friendly diaper cake is a bath themed cake. Find a hooded towel set and washcloths, bath toys and bath products for "Frosting and Frills."

  • Grab a girlfriend to help you - it's always more fun and you'll get great ideas to make it even more special!


Check out other photos of diaper cakes and baby shower tips here.

Get Crafty!
-Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment