Saturday, March 31, 2012

Wedding Ready - 5 details you might overlook

Hello Ladies!

Seeing as my marriage has been a hot topic since leaving The Fresh Beat Band, I thought I'd share a few thoughts.  There was a short list of things I wish I had given more attention to before the big day, and before you experience the same blunders, check this out.  It may save you from some frustrating faux pas. 


1.  Must For Bustles - I chose a very delicate and dainty wedding dress.  In trying to preserve the look of the ruffles, my alterations gal decided to put only ONE button and hook for my bustle.  Big mistake!  Within the first dance I had already been stepped on and the bustle was gone.  I had to hold my dress to dance for the rest of the night!  Make sure you have a sturdy bustle -- you can even hook the dress underneath rather than on top for extra security.



2.  Cake Design Do's - I figured with the pictures and description I gave the bakery for my cake that there was no way they could make a mistake.  Ooops!  I never approved a cake design sketch and it left me little to be desired on the day.  The cake was nothing like we had asked for.  Make sure you see a mock up of the vision ahead of time.



3.  Groom's Groove - If your husband is the kind who plans on really getting down on the dance floor, you might urge him to buy an extra shirt (even a t-shirt is fine).  My husband danced so much during the first hour of our reception that his thin tux shirt was drenched!  He was pretty uncomfortable for the rest of the night... although he did win the wet t-shirt contest ;)



4.  Skip The Early Birds - We noticed that right after dinner a lot of people we invited left.  They didn't stay for speeches or cake... It was kinda sad.  But we took an important lesson from this.  Don't invite the periphery, especially if you're trying to save money.  Think about the friends and family who are going to be there till they close the bar - invite THEM, and spend the extra money on nice party favors instead.



5.  Seating Chart "In-sight" - Although I was proud of the incredible seating chart we created, I was saddened to find out after the fact that many people did not see it and therefore sat at the wrong table.  It took our planner a lot of time to find seats for the people wandering around wondering what happened to their tables!  If you're using a creative seating chart, make sure there is either a sign reminding people to check it, or put it someplace where it can't be missed.


But truly, the best advice I can give is no matter what goes wrong... enjoy yourself!  Take the pressure off and make it a joyous occasion.  You will remember it for the rest of your life, and sometimes the bad stories end up being the best ones!

Lots of Love,  Shayna (AKA, "Spice")


2 comments:

  1. This was really helpful, Shayna! Now Liz could maybe write one about throwing a baby shower and kids party?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it! Baby shower 101 is posted!

    ReplyDelete